Tips for Mom’s Who Want to Keep Learning
We are lean, mean, mom machines; but when our kids come home from school full of excitement over a new skill learned, a new project completed or a new piece of information gathered, it really makes you think! Remember that excitement? Why not enjoy that feeling again as an adult? You may be a working mom looking to advance your career or a stay-at-home mom just looking to continue to challenge yourself; either way, here are some suggestions for things you can do to challenge yourself and feel the excitement of learning something new again.
1. Take a class: You know that pottery class you’ve been wanting to take? Or that salsa dancing class or yoga class with the cute instructor? Go do it! Why not enjoy grown up time and have fun doing it? You may be thinking “I’m too old to take a class.”. Well, you, my friend, would be wrong! Millions of people take classes all over the world every day.
2. Schedule a Girls Coffee Night: You must know that there are other moms or non-moms who would love a chance to spread their wings once or twice a month with other women. Coffee/Tea/Cappichino nights are not a lost art and conversation with other women is a great way to keep your mind active and keep up-to-date on life outside of the house/office.
3. Read a book: Yes I said it; a book! Now, I’m not saying read a book on how to dominate the world. Go to the library and talk to the librarians. They can help you figure out if you need a fairy tale romance or a self help on how to make crafts out of shoes. You never know what you will find at a library.
4. Overcome Your Fears: We all have fears. Whether it’s the fear of spiders or public speaking; we know it’s real and it’s there. You need to recognize that fear reflects areas you yourself can grow. You need to think of fear as an area where you NEED to grow and try to overcome that fear. All fears are different and you need to address it if you want to grow.
5. Get Yourself a Mentor: Find someone who you admire; someone who inspires you. This person or people have certain qualities that you want to emulate and have for yourself. Who or what inspires you? If you don’t know, go out and look.