The Ultimate Guide to Avoiding Bad Christmas Gifts
We all have that one relative who gives us a well-intention ed gift that would have been better left on the store shelves! Bless their hearts, at least they are trying. If you’re the “bad gift giver” in your family, here is a guide to gift ideas you should avoid this year!
1) The Dreaded Fish Tie: Need I say more?
2) Bad Joke Present: My ex-boyfriend used to call me Lisa (a friend I had a falling out with) as a joke, instead of my name. One year, he gave me a jewelry box. I was excited! Inside, what I found was a beautiful men’s watch, which he had intended on wearing himself. I tried wearing it, but needless to say that relationship didn’t last to much longer after that.
3) Creepy Bedtime Barbie: This was a bit of a disaster when they came out in ’93. You put water on her eyes to open and shut them. Needless to say, one year my niece, who as 8 at the time, got 3 of these. She kindly donated them to the Children’s Toy Fund the next year. Unless they have specifically asked for a trendy gift, it’s best to avoid the “overly popular” gifts.
4) Battery Operated Socks: Uhmmmm, just No!
6) A Half Bottle of Wine: Sounds obvious – but I received this from an aunt one year!
7) A Subscription to the Nutri-Weight System: Ok so, I gained a few pounds over the last 4 years. But yea… not that much! Avoid gifts that seem helpful but may be hurtful at the same time. If you want to offer to help with a health issue, do so in private. Giving a gift like this, especially in front of other family members, can be humiliating for the recipient.