How to Make a Recycling Station in Your Home
Making a recycling station in your home is super easy to do. It really doesn’t take much to set it up and it keeps everything organized.
- Chosen space for the project
- Containers of your choice
1) First, you need to decide on a place for your recycling station. Do you want it hidden away or easily accessible? The kitchen tends to make the most sense for your recycling station, as many of the things you’ll be tossing in (cans, food packaging, glass bottles) will come from there. If you have a kitchen pantry, try organizing so that your bin can be on the floor. If you have the space, you can keep your recycling station out in the open. Anything you recycle should be cleaned first so you shouldn’t have to worry about smells. Is single-stream available in your area? Then consider setting up two bins: a small one for trash and a larger one for recycling. Making the trash can smaller will encourage you to recycle more.
2) Measure your space before choosing a recycling bin option. Sound like an easy thing to do? You must measure the space or you will end up with three bins that don’t fit because you “eyeballed it”.
3) Now comes the fun part. Look through some of our favuorite recycling bins. Pick something that will fit your style. If you’re a fan of keeping things tucked away, make sure the bins will fit in the pantry or under the sink, but they don’t have to look too nice. If you’re more likely to use something if you can see it, go for something that fits your home decor and can be kept out in the open.
4) Set a schedule for this chore to be done. If you take out your recycling every week, it won’t get too full and you won’t have things falling out or sticking out of the cupboard. If not everything is accepted where you live, set another schedule for taking the other recyclables to a city-run recycling center.