7 Things A New Dad Should Know
This one is for the dads out there, especially if you are a first time new dad. It’s scary. Yes, I’m aware of that. Fatherhood brings a whole new set of rules. You helped make this wonderful bundle of joy. Now what? Well new daddy, I’m here to help you. Here’s a few things you should know.
– You will feel like you’re making tons of mistakes and that may fill your head with self-doubt. Give your head a shake, you’re doing fine. These moments will pass, I promise.
2. Babies and travel aren’t always messy.
– Lots of new dads are intimidated and get it in their heads that boarding a plane or hitting the road with an infant is going too be heck on earth. The truth is that traveling with an infant is easier to handle on the road or on a plane because they have fewer needs.
3. Get a rechargeable, cordless hand vacuum.
– Lots of your time will be spent picking things up off the floor. It will be mostly liquids at first but when your baby gets older, things like fruit snacks and cereal will be common as well.
4. It’s OK (and your wife won’t complain) if you make quick meals in the microwave.
5. You are not the “Back-up Parent”. You are the Father.
– In this new life of yours, you are an equal partner. Don’t let the fact that other people may not think that a dad can take care of a baby ruin it for you. You will be, and are, a great father. Don’t forget that!
6. There is no rule of “Too many wipes”.
– There really isn’t a wrong way to use a baby wipe when changing the baby’s diaper. At three cents a sheet or less, you can wipe all you want. Go for it.
7. The fear of not being able to provide properly.
– Sit down with your wife and get a feel for what you really need to spend. Make a baby budget. A baby budget it will help you feel more prepared for dealing with the additional costs of a new baby.