5 Simple Ways to Turn Holiday Madness Into Stress-Free Celebration
The kids are off school, family and work obligations are competing for your time, and the items on your to-do list are growing by the minute. So, while we might want to be singing, “’tis the season to be jolly,” what we might be better off singing is, “’tis the season to stay organized!”
“Being disorganized is a huge stress-or that is only amplified by the increased demands put on us during the holidays,” says Tara Redmond, vice-president of plant engineering at UPS Canada. “Time is a valuable asset, and everybody needs more of it. You can actually maximize the amount of time you spend enjoying the season by staying organized and prepared for what’s ahead.”
Beat the burnout this season, with these five tips from the experts at UPS for managing your time, conquering your to-do list, and remaining stress-free this year:
1. Plan in advance: Whether you’re buying gifts for loved ones or cooking for the family, it’s important to plan ahead. Make a to-do list and plan to tackle one thing per day to help ease the stress.
2. Mark important dates in your calendar: Highlight important dates, especially if tasks require multiple steps. If you’re sending gifts to loved ones, make sure shipping cutoff dates are clearly marked to ensure they arrive on time.
3. Buy gifts online: Eliminate the hassle of finding a parking spot and shop from the couch in your cozies. Shipping packages directly to the doorstep of a loved one also takes the task of gift wrapping off your to-do list, as many online retailers offer to do this for you.
4. Manage shipments: Services such as UPS My Choice make it easier for you to direct packages to a location close to you, and can notify you via text, voice or email alerts as to incoming shipments. UPS Access Point locations are convenient places – such as The UPS Store, local grocery stores or other local businesses – that offer easy package drop-off or collection.
5. Stay within budget: Set a budget and stick to it. At the end of the season you’ll be proud of yourself, and will feel confident when you receive your credit card bill.
6. Take a pause: In all the commotion that comes with the holidays, we sometimes forget to look after ourselves. Balance spending busy social time with friends and extended family with rest, relaxation and quiet time spent at home.