10 Ways to Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer
Our furry, four-legged friends mean a lot to us. When it comes to the summer heat, they over heat faster then we think. Here are some easy ways to keep your dog cool this summer.
1. Make sure your dog has access to fresh water at all times. Of you’re going to be away for a few hours, you can freeze large blocks of ice and leave it outside in the shade to help your dog keep cool.
3. Keep your pooch cool with a ventilated, raised dog house.
4. Never leave your dog in a car in summer. Even with the windows open, your dog can overheat.
5. Do not take your dog for a walk on hot cement as it will burn the bottom of your dog’s paws.
6. If you take your dog swimming, when you are done; take him/her to a shaded area to cool off and dry before heading home.
7. If you go to the beach, make sure your dog has light-weight booties to protect paws on the hot sand.
8. Consider changing your dog’s routine walk times to a cooler time of the day. The best times are early morning or after the sun sets.
9. Don’t give your dog a hair cut. It sounds backwards but it can do more harm than good. A dog’s coat is a buffer to aid in regulating their body temperature.
10. Leave your dog at home on very hot days. If you don’t have to bring your dog, don’t. It’s safer for dogs if they don’t have to go out into the extreme heat. You will both be happier for it.